Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sore Thumbs

I'm having some sore thumbs today.  I recently played some old school video games via emulator at one of my buddy's house today.

This made me think a bit.  About how kids of the future will never have sore thumbs of the past...

The longest I've ever spent gaming on a console has been 10+ hours...  Straight.  I know that doesn't seem like much to many people out there.  Especially the RPG/MMORPG losers (I hate you; your games suck).  

What game I do remember spending 10+ hours on was....  

I mean, thats at least what I could say I actually spent 10 hours straight on.  There have been other games that I have easily played for just as long but I mean...  This one was a binge.  Only food, urinating, and defecating were the only sources of a break.

When I look back at it, the game itself wasn't even that great.  It had flaws but maybe it was being around at that time.  Before the Xbox, or Xbox360 or PS3...

Although I played this game for 10+ hours, I never had a sore thumb.  By this point in time, I think console creators were able to come up with a control set up that didn't allow you to have sore thumbs.

Instead of having a concave button surface, it was a convex one.  The issue with the left thumb was greatly reduced with the advent of the 'joystick' type of button.  Both allowed the gamer to play for extended periods of time.  

I remember playing NES and SNES games for only a few hours and having horribly sore thumbs.  So sore, that you got those lovely blisters.  But like a crack addict, you had to keep playing.  

Maybe also game developers caught on around the PS1 and N64 days and said "Hey, lets stop the whole button mashing thing".   That could probably be part of it.  

Whatever.  I don't know what I'm talking about anymore.  

Final Fantasy is for losers. 
World of Warcraft is for losers.
Everquest is for losers.
Any RPG is for losers.

No comments:

Post a Comment