Sunday, April 26, 2009

Index Card Challenge!

This is somewhat of an evolution of how it came to be. When I was working on Coraline, I would draw pictures of one of my co-workers; 'Sir Timothy Yates'. Each picture of him was drawn on a small stickypad, approx 1.5"x1". Each picture was different and had a caption that always had 't' in it. For example; "Tim on a Train" or "Tim on a Trip to Texas". Well, I filled up an entire 11x17 (48 drawings) piece of paper and never got fired.

My bosses actually loved it and when Tim moved over to track reading, many of the animators got a kick out of it. I like to think of it as a moral booster. Long days, long shoots, you need to laugh. Its necessary.

Well, when Tim was out there promoting his comic book at Stumptown comic convention in Portland. He did something similar but instead of following a letter combination. He drew pictures on index cards and sold them for some sum of money.

One day I was bored and what he did sounded like a good exercise. So I said "Hey, I'll try and do 100 that are mostly one panel comics." I made it to like 34 until it became too much. I even drew the 34 over the period of a few days. Only when some idea popped into my head.

One panel comics are tough to. You have to get the set up and punchline all in one panel. I think a 3 panel is really easy compared to this.

So here are some of the ones I drew. Some funny. Some horrible.




No comments:

Post a Comment